Critical Resistance is hiring a part-time LOS ANGELES BASED ORGANIZER to help us organize against jail expansion, to build a stronger abolitionist movement, and support member leadership. Join our team!
LOS ANGELES BASED ORGANIZER (2019)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 13th, applications reviewed on rolling basis
Critical Resistance (CR), a national grassroots organization working to end the prison industrial complex (PIC), seeks a half-time staff position to service the LA Chapter in order to support member leadership, development, and organizing against the LA County jail construction plan. The organizer will increase CR’s organizational impact and profile by working with CR members, volunteers, and allies to develop and implement strategies, campaigns and projects designed to eliminate the PIC. CR is a membership led organization that operates using consensus decision-making.
The staff member will work with Critical Resistance members, National Staff based in Oakland, volunteers, cross functional organizations, and allies to oversee and support the LA based chapter as sole staff member based in SoCal. The staff member will be responsible for organizing political campaigns and projects of the chapter, currently focused around fighting jail expansion in LA. This 1-year position with the possibility of extension will be based in our office in Los Angeles, CA with some intermittent travel required.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Local membership outreach, recruitment, and retention
- Support infrastructure and operations for LA chapter
- Represent and support CR-LA Chapter and National CR
- Organize, schedule, and support volunteer opportunities, facilitate as needed
- Participation with chapter in political education, facilitate and organize as needed
- Main point of contact across Justice LA partnership and continuous coordination with Oakland Staff
- In-person attendance and participation at regularly scheduled chapter General meetings
- Support and lead fundraising efforts and events in coordination with Oakland staff and chapter
- Ongoing communications across local and national staff and membership
- Local organizing and attendance of relevant rallies, protests, and/or conferences
- Leadership in organizational programming including actions, meetings, trainings, and conferences
- Travel to Oakland to meet with National Staff and other chapter locations as needed
- Organizational administrative support
- Additional duties, as needed
Applicants must be able to demonstrate experience in:
- Understanding of and commitment to prison industrial complex abolition
- Organizing in grassroots political campaigns (either as paid staff or volunteer organizer)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Training and group facilitation
- Ability to balance multiple responsibilities well, be self-directed, to set priorities, and follow work plans
- Willingness and ability to seek out relevant work and allies for building partnerships and coalitions
- Being accountable to multiple organizers in a non-hierarchical organization
- Basic computer skills (email groups and listservs, word processing, databases, and some financial software a plus)
- Willingness to travel
- Public Speaking
- Spanish speaking language skills a plus
Former prisoners or people impacted by state violence, people of color, women, queer and trans/gender-nonconforming people are especially encouraged to apply.
This position is half time (20-25 hours per week) and will include weekends and evenings as needed.
Good benefits and vacation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Final deadline for applications _______. Please send a cover letter and resume via email (Word documents or PDF files, please) to: email@example.com. Include your name and “LA Organizer” in the subject.
Or send hard copy applications to be received by Feb 13th:
Critical Resistance Hiring Committee
1904 Franklin St., Suite 504
Oakland, CA, 94612
Please direct any questions regarding the position to firstname.lastname@example.org or 5104440484.