We’re excited to announce that Critical Resistance is hiring!
We are looking to fill our National Development Director
National Development Director
Full-time Position | $85,000 annual salary + expansive benefits
Deadline to Apply: We’re currently accepting applications on a rolling basis!
Critical Resistance (CR), a national grassroots organization working to end the prison industrial complex (PIC), seeks a National Development Director to build and further diversify Critical Resistance’s fundraising and development capacity with an emphasis on grassroots fundraising, ensure CR’s financial oversight and health, and strengthen the stability, growth, and vitality of CR. This position will be based in our National Office in Oakland, CA. Regular travel will be required.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Development Director will work with Critical Resistance members, staff, and allies, to develop, coordinate and lead grassroots fundraising activities including events, direct asks and mailings, with some grant writing. The Development Director will also provide fundraising training and planning assistance to members; build and maintain CR’s relationships with donors, prospects, and allies; and support the overall health of the organization. This includes linking fundraising to campaigns, political education, member development, national movement-building and administrative work, to strengthen our strategy and organizing over the long term. As a part of a staff collective, the Development Director will work collaboratively with the other national staff to ensure the overall strength and health of the organization and the work. The Development Director is the staff supervisor for the Infrastructure and Development (ID)Team.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Developing and coordinating successful fundraising campaigns and donor-organizing strategies
- Understanding of and commitment to prison industrial complex abolition
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with organizational finances and ability to create and monitor budgets
- Training and group facilitation – developing facilitation plans, agendas, and materials, prepping participants, facilitating work planning sessions, supporting follow up tasks.
- Ability to balance multiple responsibilities well, to set priorities, and follow work plans
- Willingness and ability to seek out relevant work and allies for building partnerships and coalitions
- Supporting interns and volunteers
- Working with computers including updating websites, email groups and listservs, word processing, and database management
- Willingness to travel
- Public speaking
DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience in a national organization, preferably a grassroots or political organization
- Experience working in an organization with volunteer members, and developing volunteer leadership
- Experience in providing supportive supervision of staff
- Experience in providing mentorship and training
- Experience with social media platforms
- Graphic design skills (Adobe products, Canva, etc)
- Experience developing or supporting regular events (speaking events, traditional and creative fundraising events, campaign mobilizations, etc)
Formerly imprisoned people are highly encouraged to apply. We also encourage people of color, women, queer and trans/gender-nonconforming people to apply. We welcome people from all educational backgrounds to apply.
Salary is $85,000, with six weeks paid vacation, and an expansive benefits package. Travel is covered for staff while on the road, and a per diem is provided. CR is also providing financial support for tech needs during COVID-19, as staff are using adaptive work from home setups. This is a permanent position. However, the starting contract agreement is for the first six months to ensure the hire is a mutually good fit for Critical Resistance and the person hired. We ask for a minimum two-year commitment.
Position is based in Critical Resistance’s National Office in Oakland, CA. Regular travel will be required, approximately six times a year to chapter cities or movement events (conferences, planning sessions, etc) outside of Oakland. Note: Due to COVID-19, CR staff work primarily remotely, and national staff have halted travel for the time being, with re-assessment every six months based on COVID precautions and organizational protocols. The Development Director is responsible to work from the office 1-2 days a week, with the option of working primarily out of the office.
As soon as possible, please send a resume, cover letter, and a work sample relevant to fundraising and development to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also send a hard copy of your application to:
ATTN Development Hiring
P.O. Box. 22780
Oakland, CA 94609-2301
*Note: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis currently
Want to hear more about what the work entails?
For more of an “inside look” into the Development Director position and co-director experience in Critical Resistance, read this reflection from former Development Director Jess Heaney, who recently transitioned out of the position after holding it down for eight years.