Join the squad! Summer 2020 Internships Available Now
Application Deadline is May 8th, 2020. Apply today!
Critical Resistance is seeking the immediate support of interns to support our abolitionist organizing work. Our internship program is designed to support our local and national campaign work and day-to-day operations, as well as build confidence and leadership in community organizing for our interns. Interns will receive hands-on experience developing campaign strategy, supporting grassroots fundraising, conducting research, and communicating across an array of online platforms.
As of now, our internships will be online/remote in connection to our National office in Oakland, CA. In the case that the ‘shelter in place’ is lifted, those located in the Bay Area will be asked to intern in-person.
Please contact us directly to discuss online accessibility questions or questions about other chapter locations.
We are specifically looking for interns to support these three work areas:
- Development and Fundraising
- Support grassroots fundraising efforts, donor management, online events/webinars, grant-writing and direct appeals
- Campaigns Intern
- Support research, outreach, and materials development (topic: abolitionist principles for pre-trial policy/organizing)
- Operations and Administration
- Fielding phone calls from prisoners; support mailing, filing, data entry and database management
Secondary Work Areas May Include:
- Support national work groups or chapters
- Support planning and logistics for campaigns, events or gatherings
- Conduct campaign outreach and facilitate information sessions
- Support prisoner mail and prisoner participation in CR
- We ask that all interns to be involved in the ongoing administrative work of CR
In addition to internship activities, interns will be invited to attend CR workshops and webinars throughout their internship to build their abolitionist networks and their analysis of the PIC.
Interns are requested to work a minimum of 20 hours per week. Schedules are flexible and can work around school and/or work activities. This is an unpaid internship; however, we are happy to work with you to meet academic, scholarship, or other internship requirements.
Former prisoners and their loved ones, survivors of police violence, people of color, women, queer and trans/gender-nonconforming people are especially encouraged to apply.
Interns will be accepted on a rolling basis. Ideal interns should meet the following criteria:
- Commitment to or sincere interest in prison industrial complex abolition
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience with digital media platforms (Zoom, Google Calendar, social media platforms)
- Detail-oriented personality
- Ability to work remotely and independently
- Accountable and responsive
- Basic computer skills (word processing, database, and some financial software a plus)
- Spanish language skills a plus
If you have a specific idea of a project you’d like to do as an intern with Critical Resistance, we welcome talking with you about it to determine whether it is a good match with the organization’s current work.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Complete the CR Internship Application and email it to CR (email@example.com) alongside a brief statement of interest and resume. For more information, please contact our National Membership Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org