Spring 2018 Internships
Critical Resistance is seeking immediate support in the area of operations and administration from an intern or consistent volunteer (6 hours or more per week). This internship supports all the abolitionist campaigns, prisoner correspondence, and programs of the organization and is an excellent way to gain skills and experience in organizing and nonprofit operations. You will gain experience with online platforms such as Box, Salesforce, and WordPress. Some of the areas of focus for the internship include: data entry and database management, website support, mailings, and filing.
Spring Operations Internship is available immediately. Fill out application.
Summer 2018 Internships: Deadline for Application March 11, 2018
We are seeking interns to support Critical Resistance’s (CR) work in the national office based out of Oakland, CA. We may have internships available in chapter cities additionally – please call our national office to inquire. This is an ideal internship for someone who is interested in gaining skills such as organizational operations/management, campaigns and organizing, media/communications, fundraising, and social media and web maintenance. We ask interns for a minimum commitment of two months and prefer a work schedule of at least 16 hours per week.
We are specifically seeking interns to work in three areas:
- Development and Fundraising (including donor management, event support, direct appeals)
- Media and Communications, specifically: Social media and The AbolitionistNewspaper (including project management, editing/writing, design)
- Campaigns (including research, outreach, and materials development)
As of now, we cannot offer financial compensation however we can work with you to meet academic, scholarship, or other internship requirements. Former prisoners and their loved ones, survivors of police violence, people of color, women, queer and trans/gender-nonconforming people are especially encouraged to apply. Apply Now
Primary Work Areas May Include (training provided):
- Media and communications, including web and social media updates
- Grassroots fundraising and basic finances admin
- Contact management and maintenance
- Support grant research
- Campaign support and outreach
- Prison Industrial Complex (PIC) research, archiving, and materials generation
Secondary Work Areas May Include:
- Support national work groups or chapters
- Support on-site planning and logistics for campaigns, events or gatherings
- Conduct campaign outreach and facilitate information sessions
- Support prisoner mail and prisoner participation in CR
- We also ask our interns to be involved in the ongoing administrative work of CR.
If you have a specific idea of a project you’d like to do as an intern with Critical Resistance, we welcome talking with you about it to determine whether it is a good match with the organization’s current work.
Complete the CR Internship Application and mail or email to CR alongside a brief statement of interest and resume. For more information, please contact our national office at 510.444.0484.
ACCESSIBILITY: CR’s Oakland office is wheelchair accessible via elevator (5th floor) with accessible bathrooms located in the building. Please contact us directly to discuss other accessibility questions or questions about other chapter locations.