Coinciding with our 20th anniversary, Critical Resistance is entering an exciting new phase of organizational growth and foundation building. As rents in downtown Oakland have been growing untenable in recent years, we set an organizational priority in 2017 on finding a new long-term home for CR that could host our national offices and Oakland chapter work. With 2018 as our 20th anniversary, we imagined that this year would be a year of fundraising to expand our infrastructure and to begin planning for our next twenty years. We didn’t imagine just how incredible this year would become.
After becoming aware of a building for sale on Telegraph Avenue near MacArthur Bart, we reached out to a loyal donor about supporting us through a process for acquiring the building. Inspired by the 20 years of CR’s history and our movement, her generosity was beyond what we anticipated: she offered to purchase the building for CR’s permanent use and support with renovations and operating costs. The building sale is now completed and it is in our hands! We are excited to share this early news with you all, and invite you to support us entering this next phase.
With 9,000 square feet now in the hands of CR, we want to consult with our partner organizations and community stakeholders to learn what our movement needs and to develop a vision for this new resource! We are hiring a part-time consultant position to usher this process along and support us build out this space.
Interested in being a part of this process? See below or click here for the Job Description and apply today! Please also help us spread the application far and wide. We look forward to working with you and your organization to bring our dreams to life. Any more questions on the building can be directed to Jess@criticalresistance.org
Short-term Project Coordinator: Designing an Abolitionist Office and Event Space for Left Social Justice movement-building in Oakland
- One position based in Oakland, California
- August – October 2018 part-time
- 48 estimated days + 5 days contingency = 53 days contract
Critical Resistance (CR) is seeking a consultant to coordinate with different stakeholder groups to help us work accountably to design a building to hold offices as well as an abolitionist community event and meeting space for Left and social justice movement-building organizations. Work will involve coordinating and facilitating meetings and conversations with CR members, staff, and allied organizations to articulate needs and vision for this space.
It will involve parallel consultation conversations with other venues, organizational hubs, and event spaces to learn about relevant model structures, lessons, and venue space needs. It will also require working with selected architects and contractors so that the building design and renovations align with this vision. Finally, this person will develop, in collaboration with the Critical Resistance-Oakland Building Committee, a Request for Proposals to solicit interested architects and will work with CR staff and members to facilitate a hiring process for selecting an architect.
This position would be supported by the Critical Resistance-Oakland Building Committee, whose members bring a mix of organizational insight, architectural technical expertise as well as legal expertise.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Ensure CR and community partners are engaged and shape the process of building agreements, design and vision (25 days)
- Engagement in renovation/design plans (13 days)
- Manage process of establishing agreements between CR and key stakeholders (10 days)
- Total estimated days = 53 days, with possibility to extend contract to accompany the construction phase, if deemed a good fit.
- Solid relationships (or relationship building skills) with Oakland left organizing groups, North Oakland community groups facing displacement/gentrification, and strategic allies and organizational partners of CR
- Willingness and ability to seek out relevant work and allies for building partnerships and coalitions
- Knows CR and aligns politically with what we desire for this space
- Ability to coordinate different types of people to move this process forward in a way that is inclusive, effective and efficient.
- Ability to self-manage, self-start and reach out for support and consultation when needed. Ability to balance multiple responsibilities well, set priorities, and follow work plans
- Computer and writing skills: Ability to draft basic Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, summaries and reports; proficient use of email and online file sharing.
- Skill in group facilitating
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Accountable and responsive
- Access to a vehicle, preferred.
- Access to computer and cell phone, preferred.
- Spanish language skills a plus
- We highly encourage formerly imprisoned people to apply. We also encourage people of color, women, queer and trans/gender-nonconforming people to apply.
- We welcome people from all educational backgrounds to apply.
- Candidates’ skills, knowledge, work, and life experience will be considered alongside one another. Particular attention will be given to the skillsets they bring alongside that of Critical Resistance building committee members involved in this process.
- Experience with event planning and management; experience with cultural events and community-scale productions.
- This position requires that this person is able to maintain a flexible schedule.
Please send a cover letter (written or recorded) and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail a hard copy to:
Critical Resistance Hiring Committee
1904 Franklin St., Suite 504
Oakland, CA, 94612.
In the cover letter, please share any experiences, skills, and talents that you believe equip you to do this job. Though not required, we also welcome you sending us any supporting materials with your application (for example, you can send a work plan, a project timeline, a facilitation plan, or any other materials you’ve used that you think would be relevant to this job) . We hope this work can launch by mid-July or early August so please apply as soon as possible. Send any questions regarding the position to email@example.com.