Happy Mamas’ Day from Critical Resistance (CR)!
Mamas, aunties, and caretakers have been the back bone of abolition for generations.
According to Prison Policy Initiative and Interrupting Criminalization:
- Almost 1 million women in the US are imprisoned or under some for court supervision.
- Black women & transgender people are the fastest growing prison/jail populations.
- Over half (58%) of all people caged in US prisons for women are mothers/parents, as are 80% of people in jails for women.
- An estimated 58,000 people every year are pregnant when they enter local jails or prisons, and the numbers within each of these categories are rising.
This doesn’t include the countless mamas, parents, & caregivers who are separated from families from other parts of the prison industrial complex (PIC), including immigration detention, deportations, police killings, or the family policing system.
CR’s editorial collective for The Abolitionist newspaper is heading to print with issue 39 featuring timely articles on reproductive justice and prison industrial complex (PIC) abolition in mid June!
Issue 39 contributors include:
- Maria Thomas with Interrupting Criminalization and Ash Williams with Project Nia and Mountain Area Abortion Doula Collective (MAADCo)
- Erin Miles Cloud & Lisa Sangoi with Movement for Family Power
- Tauheeda Shakur from Youth Justice Coalition in Los Angeles
- Diana Block & Moonlight Pulido with California Coalition for Women Prisoners
- Azadeh Zohrabi & Targol Mesbah from Iranians for Abolition
- Débora Vera and a group of Mapuche political prisoners in Argentina
- Maximiliano Calabotta, Rumba Yambú & Tien Estell from Intransitive Arkansas
- Zoán Tanís Dávila Roldán from La Colectiva Feminista en Construcción in Puerto Rico
Sneak a peek into this much needed issue of The Abolitionist: Read and Share Movement for Family Power’s article on family policing, “Fulling the Promise of Reproductive Justice: Abolition & the Family Regulation System,” by Erin Miles Cloud and Lisa Sangoi.
Like what you read? Subscribe TODAY or give a subscription to a mama, aunty or caregiver for Mother’s Day to receive your very own copy of Issue 39 in full HOT OFF THE PRESS in June 2023.
Also, help CR expand outreach to imprisoned people inside facilities for women. Sign up a loved one or comrade for a free subscription to The Abolitionist here.