CR seeks a passionate intern to support the capacity building, engagement and logistics of the Critical Resistance Oakland Chapter Prisoner Correspondence Program.
CR Oakland Prisoner Correspondence Internship:
Role Description & Responsibilities
The Prisoner Correspondence Internship role is a hybrid, in-person and virtual position, based in the Bay Area. This internship is a minimum 3 to 6 month commitment for 20 hours per week and pays a $1,840 stipend per month ($23/hour). CR seeks an intern who will work to learn our current Prisoner Correspondence Program structure and then improve it. You will work closely with CR’s Office Administrative Assistant, Operations Coordinator, as well as members and volunteers of CR’s Oakland Chapter. You will join regular meetings, trainings, political education sessions, and will both co-work as well as work independently each week.
This position will be supervised most closely by CR’s Office Administrative Assistant who works in the office Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 12:00 PM – 7:00 PM, and secondarily by CR’s Operations Coordinator who works 2-3 days out of the office per week (typically Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays). Both the Office Administrative Assistant and Operations Coordinator will coordinate and facilitate the onboarding/training process for the role, and will provide regular weekly supervision and support through a weekly meeting, as well as on-call support, including working with the intern to create a schedule that allows for both in-office and remote work that aligns with your schedule and outside responsibilities.
- Main duties – Building capacity for mail program, for example:
- Sorting prisoner and general incoming mail at the office.
- Support with ongoing organizing and maintenance of the Prisoner Correspondence Google Drive and resources.
- Regular in-office printing, stuffing and addressing envelopes, and helping get prisoner mail out the door and dropped off at post office boxes.
- Support the outreach and coordination of CR’s bi-monthly virtual volunteer night and monthly in-person mail days.
- Process address changes and other database updates in our Salesforce Contact Management System.
- Support with outreach and email communications for mail nights/in-person mail days.
- Additional general office administrative support.
Hybrid In-Person and Remote Work Schedule:
This internship is part time and you will work with your supervisors to put together a schedule that accommodates your needs and availability for in-person in Oakland, and remote work. You will be expected to participate in the following regular meetings as part of of your weekly hybrid workflow:
Regular Meeting Attendance:
- Monthly CR Oakland Inside Outside Meeting:
- Every 4th Wednesday night from 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM (Pacific Time)
- Monthly Political Education Session w/ CR Prisoner Solidarity Phone Line & Mail Program (Virtual via Zoom):
- Every 4th Sunday from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM (Pacific Time)
- Monthly In-Person Mail Day (in person at CR Office):
- Every 3rd Sunday from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM (Pacific Time)
- CR prioritizes the leadership of Queer, Trans, Gender-nonconforming, Black, Indigenous and People of Color (QTBI&POC), people who are formerly imprisoned, systems impacted, and people who have currently or formerly imprisoned loved ones.
- We ask that CR interns arrive humbly: to listen for what wisdom and experience exists and has been developed in our organization and movement, and to first seek to understand before seeking to change. We also ask that our members commit to principled struggle: to learn and grow with us, to challenge us on shared principles, to help us see what we don’t, to commit to shaping our path forward together even in challenging times, and to engage in decision making while holding the health and wellbeing of the organization and the movement.
- This internship position will be hybrid in-person and remote via Zoom; Interns must be located in the Oakland/San Francisco Bay Area.
- Ideal candidate has experience with inside outside prisoner solidarity organizing work, an understanding of the Prison Industrial Complex and the prison system in California and beyond.
- Familiarity with Google Drive, Word, Google Calendar, Asana, and other online management tools.
- Responsiveness to email and other written communication.
- Communication and time-management skills.
- Commitment to racial, gender, economic and social justice with an interest in Prison Industrial Complex (PIC) abolition.
- Non-students and students are both welcome to apply.
- People who would like to stay involved with Critical Resistance after their internship is over.
To apply, please email email@example.com with the subject line “CR Oakland Prisoner Correspondence Position” with your name in the subject line. Please include a resume and cover letter, and why you would like to work with an organization working with people in prison that aims to dismantle the Prison Industrial Complex.
Our team will be reviewing applications and reaching out to schedule interviews with candidates who we are considering in the second week of June.
We look forward to hearing from you!
– Critical Resistance Oakland